GRAND THEATRE AKA: EMBASSY [1913-1959]

GRAND (des. Collins and Harman)

69 Cathedral square
seating 803
"The Bug House"
2 Jun 1913 - 1918
redesigned with circle (John Guthrie)
seating 1,029
26 Aug 1918 - 1954
foyer remodelled
Jul 1925
closed for "Silents"
4 Jul 1931
fully renovated for continuous "Talkies"
16 Jul 1932
renamed
EMBASSY
6 Jun 1954 - 1959 ( demolished 1960, Tower Retirement. Investment Building,
HOME
LINKS
PREVIOUS CINEMA
NEXT CINEMA
CINEMA LIST
CONTACT

helps support the activites of the CANTERBURY FILM SOCIETY