|MEMORIAL THEATRE AKA: EMPIRE, BARCLAY [1923-1975]|
MEMORIAL HALL (des. John Guthrie)
492 Papanui road, PapanuiEMPIRE
silents seating 466BARCLAY
20 Mar 1965 - 3 Jun 1975
History: Opened as the Papanui Memorial Hall by the Waimairi County Council. It bacame the centre of most social activity in the area during the next generation. During the 1930's it became a picture theatre, well known as the Empire, then as the Barclay.
The Barclay closed in 1975 due to earthquake regulations.
Where the People Met The Heald Historic Issue, August 1976.
helps support the activites of the CANTERBURY FILM SOCIETY