|QUEEN'S THEATRE [1912-1929] AKA: OLD QUEEN'S THEATRE [2003 - ]|
des. Wm Edwards
120 Hereford street
Robert Jackson's records state the capacity as 934 seats (305 in the dress circle, plus 26 velvet chairs in the boxes on each side).
The Queen's Theatre was the City's first purpose built cinema.
In 1935 the roof was raised and two more stories added behind an art deco facade
Status: Lower floor hosts ASB Bank and a Dairy. In 2003 the Theatre and Film department of the University of Canterbury took over the lease on the vacant upper floors and started to use it for a teaching/rehearsal/performance space and the resident home of their thesis students. Now known as the Old Queen's Theatre.
helps support the activites of the CANTERBURY FILM SOCIETY