|CANTERBURY MUSIC HALL AKA: THEATRE ROYAL [1861-1910]|
CANTERBURY MUSIC HALL 'The Barn'
148-153 Gloucester streetROYAL PRINCESS'S THEATRE or THE ROYAL PRINCE OF WALES THEATRE
26 Dec 1863THEATRE ROYAL
The first Theatre Royal on the site, named in 1866, was a crude wooden barn. The Musical Society put it up in 1861 for concerts. In 1863, John Hall made it the Royal Princess Theatre (In Alexandra's honour), with a new stage and front. It was sold in 1873, and pulled down in 1876. (Jackson)
helps support the activites of the CANTERBURY FILM SOCIETY